It seems like a great idea at first: geek plans a trip to attend a
technical conference, and their significant other books time off work
to come along for the trip. They will “see the sights” and surely
there will be meals together and maybe the geek could even be
convinced to take the afternoon off for some fun?
Consider this a Public Service Announcement: this is a recipe for
disaster, and only bitterness will ensue. Why? Because you have
entirely different goals and you’re deluding yourselves if you think
this trip is about doing something *together*. The less-geeky partner
is going to be lonely and depressed. Right?
The FutureRuby Comrade Program is the ideal antidote to relationship
failure. Why should the geek half of a couple have all of the fun?
Instead, SO’s traveling to Toronto with attendees can opt-in to the
Comrade Program and cruise the city in style during the day, and
take part in all of the dinner and social events at night.
Awesome geek-spouse Faye Moxam will be your
host for a weekend of casual sightseeing, drinking, shopping, and
whatever else the Comrades desire. We stress that this is no “woman’s
auxiliary” either; in fact, several men are already registered.
Your comrade registration grants you the following wishes:
- Admission to all of the nightly events (The Commencement, The Pravda Gala, The Augusta Bloc Party) and and all the VIP perks alongside your FutureRuby partner.
- Breakfast with the FutureRubyists on Saturday and Sunday (8:30am-9:30am – see schedule)
- Free Toronto Transit Pass (good Friday through Sunday)
- The Official FutureRuby swag bag.
- Inclusion in the Comrade day track on Saturday and Sunday. (Includes a free lunch, free or discounted group admissions to galleries and museums etc.)
More information on the comrade day tracks will be released closer to the date of the event via email. The tentative itinerary includes visits to the new AGO, a stop in Chinatown & Kensington Market, and a trip to the Toronto Islands. We essentially let you hold sway on where to visit and when, as this is your vacation. We recommend you bring a minimum of $30CAD with you per day outing.
You’ll be departing from the hotel at 10am each morning after breakfast in the lobby, and returning by 4pm to prepare for the evening events.
Comrade spots are almost sold out – REGISTER!
Please note: Your nerdier half must already be registered for the conference prior to your registration.